This makes sense as casein is one of the main components found in cheese1. Casein is also the most prominent protein found in bovine milk. This protein group accounts for 80 per cent of total protein found in milk, with the remaining 20 per cent whey protein. Casein can then be further processed into different products, including Acid Casein. This is produced by Prolactal at its state-of-the-art facilities in Hartberg, Austria.
How is Prolactal’s Acid Casein produced?
Acid Casein is a form of protein obtained from milk through acidification. Prolactal collects high quality raw milk from its trusted suppliers, which is skimmed and pasteurised to eliminate any harmful bacteria.
Next, a mineral acid is added to reach the desired pH, near the iso-electric point. This causes the casein protein to coagulate2 and create a solid mass (the curd).
The curd is separated from the liquid whey and washed in several steps to remove any residue before it is dried. After this, there is an option to mill the curd to desired mesh sizes.
The resulting Acid Casein powder is used in a wide range of applications.
Benefits of Acid Casein
Acid Casein is a rich source of protein with low levels of lactose, making it suitable for enriched protein and reduced lactose labelling. It is used in the production of caseinates and can be used in diverse food applications.
There are several different benefits to Acid Casein such as:
- Nutritional value – a high-quality protein containing all essential amino acids.
- Excellent emulsification and stabilising properties.
- Improved texture and water-binding capacity.
- Low lactose content.
Applications where Acid Casein is used
Acid Casein has a wide range of applications in the food, pharmaceutical and industrial sectors.
In the food sector, Acid Casein is used as an ingredient in the formulation of a variety of food applications such as analogue cheese, coffee creamers, ice cream and bakery products.
Depending on the application, it is used to improve texture, strengthen flavour, as an emulsifier and for enriching the nutritional profile of food products. It also serves as the main raw material in the production of different caseinates that find their way into high value medical and sports nutrition products.
Overall, Acid Casein is a versatile protein with many different uses in various industries. Its ability to improve texture, provide nutritional value and act as a binder makes it a highly used ingredient.
Prolactal is a well-recognised brand name in the dairy ingredients industry and has a long history of producing Acid Casein.
The plant in Hartberg has a robust multi-step process that produces high quality Acid Casein. To cater to different markets and their needs, Prolactal can deliver different mesh sizes, tailored to customer-specific applications. Get in touch now and learn more about the nutritional benefits of goat dairy and our goat dairy ingredient portfolio.
- Ginger MR, Grigor MR. Comparative aspects of milk caseins. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. Part B, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. 1999; 124:133-145. DOI: 10.1016/s0305-0491(99)00110-8.
- Editor Rickey Y. Yada, 2018, Proteins in Food Processing, Woodhead Publishing.